Rho Kappa Holds Second Annual Induction Ceremony

Lake Nona students become new inductees into the only national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Nina Tran

Photo Courtesy of Nina Tran

Photo Courtesy of Nina Tran

Brianna Jacobs, Writer

After reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and having a moment of silence for the recently departed former President George H.W. Bush, Rho Kappa’s newest inductees took their seats in the front row of the small ceremony held in the Lake Nona High School media center on December 5. The officers proceeded to light the four candles on the table before them, stating the meaning behind each one. The white candle represents veritas, or truth, the green one stands for scientia, or knowledge, gold for sapienta, or wisdom, and the blue candle represents officium, or service. Afterwards, each inductee was instructed to stand up, raise their right hand, and repeat the oath to be sworn into the Lake Nona chapter of Rho Kappa.

Rho Kappa was established in 2000 by Fort Myers High School in Fort Myers, Florida, as the first high school social studies honor society. “The social studies is an important foundation of Lake Nona High School,” President Julian Londoño said.

Members of Rho Kappa must complete at least two social studies classes, have a 3.0 GPA in both of them, and maintain academic and behavioral excellence. They cannot miss more than two meetings a year, must participate in at least one community service event, and pay the $25 membership dues. Seniors do have the opportunity to receive a Rho Kappa cord at graduation, but they must be involved in the life of the club as stated above. Juniors are also allowed to join. At this year’s induction, a few students explained why they desired to become a member of Rho Kappa.

“I learned last year from world history that I do have a passion for a lot of social studies, and I also want to help around the community for things in that area,” junior Mackenzie Mullane said.

“I joined because Mr. Rach is the sponsor and he talked about it in class. He talked about how [the club] does community service and I really wanted to help our more in the community,” junior Jordyn Fu said.

If interested in applying to become a member of Rho Kappa for next year, please see Mr. Rach in room 525.