Lake Nona High’s favorite tradition, Powder Puff, is underway

Nona students come together to participate in one of the school’s esteemed annual traditions.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jordan McIntire

Jordan McIntire

Jordan McIntire

Madilyn Destefano, Index/Staffer

Lake Nona is 10 years old. A favorite tradition we have is powder puff. On Oct. 24, girls will play a game of flag football and boys will cheer during the scrimmage.

“I think it is a tradition we have had since the beginning of this school. We might as well have one,” Student Body Secretary and junior, Reagan Overton said. Overton in charge of all the teams and insuring everything runs smoothly.

The boys of all grade levels will spend Mondays and Wednesdays rehearsing a routine where they will do humorous stunts and dances at the Homecoming pep rally and the powder puff game.

“I want the guys to not feel embarrassed, I want them to have fun and really enjoy it,” Assistant Coach for cheer Leana Hichez said.

Each girls grade level practices  their own plays. Sophomores will play against a combined team of Juniors and Freshman. Whoever wins will go on to play the Seniors.

But there is just one problem. With the seniors only having 12 players, it will be difficult for them competing against the other teams with roughly 30 girls each.

There is more to powder puff than just playing to win.

“It’s not really about competition, we’re doing this for fun,” Overton said . “the whole point is for everyone to step outside their comfort zone and participate in the things they don’t normally get a chance to.”