National Hijab Day Brings Awareness To Lake Nona High

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gaby Salas, writer

On February 1st, the Muslim Student Association coordinated an event during lunch to give girls in the school a Hijab. This event was created to help students gain a better understanding of the religion of Islam since many people are not completely aware of the different aspects and traditions that it includes.Events like these help students become more open minded about topics and creates a safe space for all students to feel accepted.

This event was created to explain that Hijabs are not a sign of terrorist and students should not discriminate against someone based on what they are wearing or their religion.Hijabs have had a reputation of being an item for people to make fun of or to discriminate against. In the Muslim religion, wearing a hijab is a sign of modesty and respect. Women also wear hijabs to show men not to love them for their looks, but for who they are.   It is extremely important for students to be aware of the different cultures in the world and be culturally aware in the community.

Many muslim and non muslim girls in the school were extremely excited to participate in this event. Rania Soufny (11) “i think this is a big step for the Lake Nona community because more people need to be aware of the people around them”. As stated before, Lake Nona High should be a safe space for all people to be accepted and feel equal to everyone else. Events like these show the students that wearing a hijab doesn’t change who you are, only what you look like. There has never been an event this large based on a certain religion especially one that is receiving oppression. The more awake and open we are about the situation, the less of a problem it will be. Lake Nona High and the Muslim Student Association are taking the first steps into changing the discrimination into equalness.

Tahneek Rahman, a senior, decide to create a video giving an overview about the entire event and received opinions from different students about the message and the outcome. Ethan Werner (12) was asked to give his opinion about the event and he said “i think that it is really cool that the school is doing this because it makes people more culturally aware and it lets people step into the shoes to feel the struggles that people (women) have to go through when they wear hijabs”.  

Overall this event was incredibly beneficial and successful in spreading the message that they wanted to spread. Lake Nona High School will see a change in the ideology and opinions behind this religion, and many others that are receiving discrimination. The Muslim Student Association and the Hijab project is one step towards equality.