The Pride Of Lake Nona

Lions' Legend

Got Stress?

Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash

Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash

Photo by Tim Gouw on Unsplash

Brianna Jacobs, Writer

As the first marking period comes to end, some students are scrambling to find extra work to push their grades up. This can really create stress that could’ve been avoided, had time management and work planning been put into effect.

Joanna He, 11, talks about her grades and the stress that comes with them. “Yeah, I do feel stressed as the first quarter comes to an end because that means grades are due. I know that I should be periodically checking up on my grades and keeping them up, but a lot of things happen throughout the quarter that distract me or make me push it off. When it comes to the end of the quarter, I always see what I can do to bring that 88 B to an 89 or 90 A. I know that I probably shouldn’t be attacking my teachers at the end of the quarter for extra credit or to make something up but I’ll do whatever it takes to get an A at the end of the day.”

So what can YOU do to avoid stress in your high school classes? Check out the 3 tips below!

1. Get a Planner

Planners are VERY effective in managing your work load if used correctly. Pick up a planner from Walmart or Target with enough lines and space for you to write your homework, due assignments, and dates of tests. Don’t even TRY to rely on your memory. It’s better to have your due work written out, rather trying to retain it all by memory and missing an assignment.

2. Minimize Distractions

Smartphones and social media can really consume your time, and distract you from finishing your work. Try putting your phone on silent or Do Not Disturb mode. Then put your phone up, work on your assignments, and occasionally take breaks, using that break time to reward yourself with some phone time.

3. Actually Talk to Your Teachers and Counselor

If you are actually struggling in a class, don’t just sit and be silent. Talk to your teachers! Ask questions! Ask for help! Most teachers really do want to help you and watch you succeed. Same thing for counselors. Make sure you meet with them about your credits and if you’re on the right path to graduation. Also talk to them about college if you’re interested, and find the right fit for you.