Celebrating hispanic heritage month

What brings everyone together?

Isabelle Rodriguez

The Lake Nona High School teachers and students celebrated hispanic heritage month during the months of September and October.

Hispanic heritage month is celebrated to recognize all hispanic Americans by contributions and successes through cultures to contribute to the United States. Celebrating allows people to come together and create a stronger community within the hispanic community through different cultures and traditions. This creates diversity while also educating other people about the different countries and ways people celebrate during this month. Some of the well-known ways to celebrate hispanic heritage month is to cook a latin-inspired meal, take a dance class, attend a Spanish class, and so much more. 

The Spanish club within Lake Nona High School did a lot to prepare for hispanic heritage month on Friday, October 15th. To celebrate, everyone had the chance to wear red to represent this celebration. Not only was this club passionate about sharing their cultures, but also educating others. “We celebrate hispanic heritage month with the Spanish club by having a pep rally and giving out candy.” states Valeria Pujol, a senior and secretary of the Spanish club. In addition, Pujol mentioned that with latinos in action, they were able to do a project about researching important people in the hispanic community. A fun fact is that this activity was first celebrated as a hispanic heritage week during the year of 1968 under President Lyndon Johnson and was enlarged by President Ronald Reagan in 1988. It was then put into the law on August 17, 1988. 

There are also special days within this 30 day period of hispanic heritage month. For example, September 15th because it’s the anniversary of independence for countries like Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, and more. Mexico and Chile also celebrate their independence days on September 16th and 18th. Columbus day and Dia de la Raza are also celebrated on October 12th. Victoria Cardenas, a senior and vice president of the Spanish club, says that she celebrates by spending time with family and making a home cooked meal. She also states, “Getting to spend time with my family really brings us joy by being together and united with one another and getting to have a fun time at home.”

To conclude, the Lake Nona High School community comes together while having a variety of different cultures and traditions that allow many students and teachers to unite.