The Boys Varsity Soccer Season is Here!

Rodrigo Iribarren Prince, Author

The Lake Nona High School Boys Varsity Team is starting a new season with a new Head Coach and a team that has an experienced base of players, with 17 seniors present in the roster. This team will look to perform a great season with the State Championship in their minds. 

The New Head Coach for the Varsity Team is Andres Jaramillo, the former head coach of JV in the last year, and former assistant coach for Varsity. He also is a current teacher for Lake Nona High School, in Spanish 2 class. Another fact that you should know about this coach is that he is a coach in IdeaSports Soccer Academy who trains in ESPN Worldwide Sport Complex.

The roster counts with 25 players: 17 of them are seniors, 5 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshmen; this is a team with a lot of experience. Another interesting fact from this team is that it is the deepest one for each position; this team counts with: 3 goalkeepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders, and 6 forwards. This is a good news for the team because it increases competition between players and pushes all of them to perform better.

Despite the fact that the first two games of the season were scheduled for December 12 and 13, the team just made its season debut on Monday, November 17 with a road win against Boone High School with a 2-0 score. A good way to start versus a hard opponent in their home.

The regular season schedule will extend from November to January with Edgewater High School as the last opponent of the regular season, but nevertheless, Coach Jaramillo expressed his intention to schedule 3 or 4 games more for January because of the suspension of some of the games already scheduled for November and December. 

One detail that we cannot overlook is that for this season the team had only 4 home games scheduled due to the remodeling of the field that will begin at the end of November, which is why the Senior Night was held on the 19th of the same month.

For now, the record of the team is 2 wins, 1 draw, and 0 loses.

The team will look over to make this season a great success and to keep the name of this school really high. We wish the best luck for this team and every one of the athletes who will represent this school.

Sources: Direct interview with athletes and coach.