Boys Swimming Team qualified to 2020 Districts Championship

Rodrigo Iribarren, Author

The Lake Nona High School Boys Swimming team; directed by Coach Bennett, qualified to the State Championship after a great season performance by the athletes.

A team that has new athletes that gave their best like Gabriel and Angel who are also brothers, combined with experienced athletes that are leading the team and breaking records like Luigi Franco. 

This season is going well for the team, who will compete in the State Championship on November 7. The qualification to these final instances is a total success for the team and its athletes, who will fight to leave the name of Lake Nona High School on the highest place of the Championship.

The Head Coach of this team is Mr. Alex Bennet who is also Waterpolo’s coach and Resource teacher for our school. He shared some of his remarks about this season with us: “This season was inspiring because the team had to deal with not knowing what will happen with the entire Covid situation. Even with that always on our mind the athletes worked hard each day and really enjoyed being around each other”. Coach Alex also compared this season with last year’s season highlighting the fact that in this season the athletes came to each practice, even when they had to travel far distances to do so. The team’s practices are held at the Winter Park High School facility.

We have an athlete that is not only leading our team, but also is one of the District leaders: He is Luigi Franco. This season had been great for him, breaking several records and leading the 100 Back in the whole district. This Brazilian athlete can be considered one of the best swimmers of the street; he broke 3 records this season: The 200 Freestyle, the 50 free, and the 100 fly. Luigi shared with us some remarks and expectations of this season: “The State Championship in Stuart is for sure going to stay in the team’s history! Also, I broke 3 school records this season: The 200 Freestyle & 50 free & 100 fly, and I look forward to breaking more records this season still”, he was insistent with his wish of breaking more records and he has all his hopes to get a gold medal.

This team had even something that you don’t see everyday: Two twins that are teammates and debuted in the same season! They are Angel and Gabriel Perez, who played their first season representing the High School in this Sport, even when this is their last year in this school. Both of them shared their experiences with us. 

Angel Perez shared with us their impressions about his debut: “I felt really nervous and anxious because of the competition, it was a great competition. Even when I didn’t win, I learned a lot of things; really good experiences.”

Gabriel Perez told us how his best performance in the season was: “I think it was in Districts, with 34 seconds in 50 free Discipline”

This strong team will compete in the next State Championship in Stuart, Florida, on November 7 of this year, we wish the best luck for the team and every one of the athletes who will represent this school. 

Sources: Direct interview with athletes and coach.